Ten Top Tips For Starting Nursery School
How can you help your child prepare for starting
Pastures Way Nursery School? Follow our top tips…
- Give your child clothes, coats and shoes with easy fastenings e.g. slip on / Velcro etc. – let your child try to get dressed independently
- Encourage your child to tidy away toys
- Help your child use the toilet independently
- Help your child wash and dry hands and face independently
- Let your child feed themselves at mealtimes – give your child a ‘child – size’ knife, fork and spoon to use
- Avoid using a bottle or dummy during the day – if your child still uses one
- Make sure your child sleeps well during the week so that they come to nursery wide awake, in a good mood and ready to join in with us. Nursery staff are happy to help with sleep routines – please ask.
- Give your child opportunities to be looked after by someone else – to help them learn to separate from you – e.g. relatives or good friends, and even if it is only for an hour
- Give your child opportunities to play with other children so that they learn to share, take turns and make friends
- Turn off the TV, look at books together, have conversations with your child – to develop their language skills
Also – Meadows Children’s Centre runs family activities all year round including the summer holidays. Come along and join us – it’s a perfect way to help your child prepare for nursery. Please ask for a leaflet.